When tortillas are involved, there must something tasty going on. Think about it: nachos, tacos, enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, they all share the same basic ingredient, and they all taste amazingly good.
All this goodness comes often with a price, in fact these popular tortilla-based dishes are not always the lightest option on the menu. – Sigh-.
That’s when these Mexican Taco Bowls with Mixed Bean Salsa come to rescue you. These tasty cups have all the best flavors from the south-american cuisine, and are packed with healthy benefits. Basically, guilt-free foodporn.
Taco cups are an extraordinary discovery. I’ve just recently found out that ou can have a lot more fun with a muffin tin, than just baking muffins and cupcakes – which I’m very grateful for, btw-.
Simply place upside down a muffin tin, and spray a little with cooking spray oil. Heat the tortillas until warm and place them on the muffin tin. As easy as it is, you only have to bake them until golden, and you’re good to go. Your tortilla bowls are ready to eat in a bite, maybe two.
To make the salsa I’ve used organic beansprouts, a mixture of green and brown lentils, chickpeas and mung beans. These fresh beansprouts are packed with vitamins A, B & C and iron and their flavor surprisingly good. They also combine great with the other ingredients: sweetcorn, spicy jalapeños, red bell pepper, cilantro, lime and onion, adding extra crunchiness to the Pico de Gallo base.
These Mexican Taco Bowls with Mixed Bean Salsa are a fantastic party finger food, or a great snack for a cozy movie night on the sofa. They’re also perfect to please any vegan / vegetarian /gluten – dairy – nuts allergic friend in your guest list – you have no excuses but to eat them. You can also choose to keep them natural and simple or give them a twist and drizzle with your favorite sauces.
I often serve them with avocado mayo ( 2 tbsp homemade mayo + 1 tbsp Greek yogurt + 1/2 avocado +1 tsp lime juice), and they’ve quickly become a favorite in the house!
- 4 large tortillas
- ½ red bell pepper, finely minced
- ½ jalapeno, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ⅓ red onion, finely minced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 pack organic mixed bean sprouts
- ⅓ cup sweetcorn
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- With the help of a large food ring, cut the tortillas into circles.
- Heat the tortillas until warm. Turn a muffin tin upside down and spray with cooking spray oil.
- Place the circle on the muffin tin. Bake in a preheated oven to 320F/160C until golden and crisp, about 15 mins.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl combine all the ingredients to make the salsa. Season well with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready, remove the taco bowls from the oven and allow to cool down.
- Serve the mixed bean salsa into the taco bowls and either keep it natural, or drizzle with your favorite sauce. Enjoy!