Catch a glimpse of tasty authentic Sicilian cuisine with a lighter & quicker version of the classic Parmigiana di Melanzane ( Eggplant Parmigiana).
Trust me, these Eggplant Parmigiana Skewers are gonna be your dinner this evening, tomorrow, and the day after… they’re SO addicting.Only few simple fresh ingredients are required, and 10 min of your time. Plus, they’re 100% vegetarian, making them perfect for meatless Monday!
The classic Eggplant Parmigiana “made in Sicily” is a staple in Italian cuisine, and is one of the most awesome food combinations you will never experience. Deep-fried eggplant slices + slowly cooked fresh tomato sauce + tons of freshly grated Parmesan = All you need to be happy.
As delicious it sounds it’s not one of the lightest dishes around, it takes about a day or two to digest the real parmigiana, that becomes a week if you add smoked ham, provola cheese and eggs ( add-ons of different versions you can find in Sicily). So, if you’re a parmigianaholic like me, a simple, healthier version is definitely worth trying. These easy to make grilled Eggplant Parmigiana Skewers are the BEST ever alternative to the traditional sicilian recipe.
These Eggplant Parmigiana skewers take about 15 min from start to table. The aubergine slices are not deep-fried as the original recipe recalls, instead they’re lightly brushed with oil and grilled until crisp. This way not only will save you a bunch of calories, but it’s healthier too. You could also try to roast the eggplant in the oven, it’s really up to you.
The skewers have a fantastic mozzarella and Parmesan filling, that simply melts in your mouth. I’ve replaced the tomato sauce with a simple tomato & basil tartare that freshens up the dish and makes a lighter, flavorful companion for the grilled eggplant. It also saves you 1 hour worth of cooking for the classic fresh tomato sauce.
Re-inventing a traditional dish is not always an easy task, and some may consider it even irreverent, I find it inspiring. The aim of interpreting a classic recipe is for me a way to give you a new, different point of view.
The Eggplant Parmigiana Skewers are just one of the many alternatives to the classic Parmigiana. If you want to start from the basics, have a look at this accurate recipe for the Parmigiana alle Melanzane.
For more mouth-watering Sicilian recipes, have a look here (yes, yummy cannoli included)!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 mozzarella, finely cubed
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Extavirgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Brush the eggplant slices on both sides with olive oil, and season to taste.
- Heat a large grilling pan over medium heat.
- Grill the eggplant 2 mins per side, until crisp and cooked through.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the pan and allow to cool a little
- In the meantime, cube the tomatoes and fold into a small bowl. Add basil, drizzle with little oil and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Arrange 1 tbsp mozzarella and 1 tsp of chopped tomatoes on top of an eggplant slice and sprinkle with a pinch of Parmesan. Gently roll and pierce with a wooden skewer. Continue until you have 4- 5 rolls per skewers.
- Serve with the remaining tomato tartare on top of the skewers and decorate with extra basil leaves. Enjoy!
- Return the pan to the heat and grill the skewers for 1-2 min, until the cheese