This light and vibrant maple-glazed carrot phyllo tart is packed with seasonal rainbow carrots and fresh aromatic ricotta cheese – Ready in just 20 mins, it makes a showstopping vegetarian appetizer or main to share.
There’s something so satisfying about savory tarts. Requiring only very little effort, they’re one of my favorite recipes to make when hosting a party. A large savory tart is easy to put together in minutes and can feed up to 8-10 people, making it a perfect appetizer for the upcoming Christmas holiday parties.
Preparing this maple-glazed carrot phyllo tart is a total breeze and takes just 20 mins start to finish. Even better, you only need 8 easy-to-find fresh ingredients including: phyllo pastry sheets, fresh ricotta cheese, homemade pesto, rainbow carrots, maple syrup and aromatic herbs.
The best part of this pretty-looking tart is that you can easily customize it with your favourite carrots, crust or cheese. I was lucky enough to find a great variety of rainbow carrots at the market, but if you have a hard time looking for purple or red carrots, just go with regular orange ones. No matter the color, carrots are all delicious and packed with healthy benefits, including loads of vitamins and antioxidants.
I love using phyllo pastry, it gives a nice crunchy texture to every recipe, whilst being very light and airy. Plus, it bakes so much faster than traditional shortcrust or puff pastry.
Of course it’s preferable to make your own phyllo , especially because you can adapt it to your dietary requirements (e.g. gluten-free), but otherwise you can always cheat and use a pre-made good-quality phyllo pastry. Just make sure the ingredients list doesn’t include any nasty additives.
The filling is my go-to herby ricotta. It’s creamy, aromatic, herby and so delicious. A spoon (or two) of homemade pesto adds extra vibrant and refreshing flavors. Trust me on this one – you need this in your life. For a different taste, you can easily swap ricotta for goat cheese, or mix together the two cheeses. Same goes for to pesto, as much as I like the traditional basil version, you can easily opt for rocket, broccoli or red pepper pesto, just to name a few.
To make this mouthwatering and light maple-glazed carrot phyllo tart, you don’t need any particular equipment or skills. Just 20 mins of your time and 8 main ingredients.
Start with the phyllo sheets, three will be more than enough. Lightly brush each sheet with a little extra virgin olive oil, then use to line your tart tin, overlapping the sheets.
Now, my favorite part, making those cute carrot roses. Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, make long thin ribbon slices of carrots. Then form a tiny flower in your hands, by rolling one carrot ribbon over another, until you get a pretty rose.
Arrange the carrot flowers over your phyllo tart, and brush with a delicate glaze made with extravirgin olive oil + maple syrup + thyme leaves. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and your tart is ready to hit the oven. While it bakes, carrots get gently caramelized and maple syrup adds a silky glaze and a rich, terrific flavor.
Bake for about 15 mins, until crispy and golden brown, then allow to slightly cool before serving. I like to make the tart ahead of time and then keep it warm in a low oven until ready to serve.
This maple-glazed carrot phyllo tart is by far one of my favorite savory tarts ever. It’s quick and totally easy to make, conveniently vegetarian and absolutely gorgeous!
It will totally be the star of your holiday table, whether you’re looking for a showstopping dish to serve on Christmas or New year’s Eve parties.
I hope you guys will give this colourful carrot tart a try. If you do, please leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it! Even better, snap a picture, tag it #thepetitecook and share it on Instagram! I can’t wait to see all your festive creations :).
- 3 phyllo pastry sheets
- 5-6 medium carrots ( I used orange, yellow, red and purple carrots)
- extravirgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 250gr/ 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese, drained
- 2 tbsp homemade pesto
- a bunch of fresh thyme and basil leaves, chopped
- a pinch of crushed pink peppercorns
- Heat oven to 180C/ 360F. Lightly grease with olive oil an 8 inch tart pan.
- Prepare the ricotta filling by mizing all ingredients together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pink pepper and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Lightly brush each phyllo pastry sheet with a little extra virgin olive oil, then use to line your tart tin, overlapping the sheets.
- When you get to the final layer, fill the base with ricotta & pesto mixture, then brush with a little oil and scrunch the edges together to create a nice border.
- Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, make long thin ribbon slices of carrots. Then form a tiny flower in your hands, by rolling one carrot ribbon over another, until you get a pretty rose.
- Arrange the flower over your tart until is fully covered,
- Prepare the maple glaze by mixing all ingredients together. Brush the carrot roses with the mixture, then season with sea salt.
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins, or until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven, allow to cool a little and serve.